David B. MacGregor is a Principal and Co-Chair in the Firm's Energy & Utilities Practice Group. His practice focuses on regulation, litigation, and corporate transactions involving the energy industry.
Mr. MacGregor has litigated a wide range of proceedings for electric, gas, water, and oil pipeline companies before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), state public utility commissions, and related federal and state court proceedings. In addition to traditional rate and service issues, he has significant experience in:
- Electric and gas restructuring proceedings
- Regulatory issues associated with utility mergers, acquisitions, and financing
- Market power and competitive issues as they affect regulated industries
- Renewable energy issues
- Transmission line siting proceedings
- Marcellus Shale related advice, counsel, and representation
Mr. MacGregor also has substantial experience in negotiating and drafting electricity and gas supply agreements for both utilities and large commercial and industrial customers.
The Best Lawyers in America© selected Mr. MacGregor for inclusion in its 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 editions in the category of Energy Law. For information about this selection and an overview of common third-party publications, rankings, and lists methodologies, click here.
Read full bio >
Read less >
- PPL Electric Utilities Corporation v. City of Lancaster, No. 462 MD 2013, __ A.3d __, 2015 Pa. Commw. LEXIS 449 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2015) (preemption of local regulation).
- Pa PUC v. Seder, et al., 106 A.3d 193 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2014) (Office of Open Records).
- Hess v. Pa. PUC, 107 A.3d 246 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2014) (Richfield-Dalmatia transmission line).
- Bd. Of Supervisors of Springfield Twp. V. Pa. PUC, 41 A.3d 142 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2012) (Coopersburg transmission line).
- Energy Conservation Council of Pa. v. PUC, 25 A.3d 440 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2011) (Susquehanna-Roseland transmission line).
- Lloyd v. Pa. PUC, 904 A.2d 1010 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2006) (statutory rate caps, storm damage expenses, revenue allocation, recovery of environmental cost).
- PPL Electric Utilities Corp. v. Pa. PUC, 912 A.2d 386 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2006) (tariff interpretation issues; primary jurisdiction).
- Delmarva Power & Light Co. v. Pa. PUC, 582 Pa. 338, 870 A.2d 901 (2005) (assessment of electric generation supplies).
- UGI Utilities, Inc. v. Pa. PUC, 878 A.2d 186 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2005) (posting of financial security by natural gas suppliers).
- UGI Utilities, Inc. v. Pa. PUC, 863 A.2d 144 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2004) (calculation of gas cost reconciliation).
- Milkie v. Pa. PUC, 768 A.2d 1217 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2001) (transmission line siting).
- Schulykill Energy Resources, Inc. v. Pennsylvania Power & Light Co., 113 F.3d 405 (3rd Cir. 1997) (antitrust issues).
- Pa. PUC, et al v. PPL Electric Utilities Corporation, Docket Nos. R-2015-2469275, et al, 2015 Pa. PUC LEXIS 461 (Pa. PUC September 28, 2015) (PPL 2015 Base Rate Case).
- Joint Application of PPL Interstate Energy Company and PPL Electric Utilities Corporation, Docket Nos. A-2014-2435752, et al., 2015 Pa. PUC LEXIS 157 (Pa. PUC, April 15, 2015) (spin-off of generating assets).
- Pa. PUC et al v. Duquesne Light Company, Docket Nos. R-2013-2372129, et al., 2014 Pa. PUC LEXIS 126 (Pa. PUC March 27, 2014) (Duquesne Light Company 2013 Rate Case).
- Pa. PUC, et al. v. PPL Electric Utilities Corporation, Docket Nos. R-2015-2290597, et al., (Pa PUC December 28, 2012) (PPL 2012 Base Rate Case).
- Petition of UGI Penn Natural Gas Inc. for PUC Exemption, Docket No. P-2013-2347105 (Pa. PUC December 19, 2013) (UGI Zoning Exemption).
- Pa. PUC v. PPL Electric Utilities Corporation, Pa. PUC, Docket No. R-00072155 (2007) (PPL 2007 Base Rate Case).
- Petition of Duquesne Light Company For Approval Of A Default Service Plan, Pa. PUC, Docket No. P-00072247 (2007) (Default Service Supply Plan).
- Application of Duquesne Light Company and DQE Communications Network Services for a Certificate of Public Convenience Approving Acquisition of Duquesne Light Holdings by Merger, Pa. PUC, Docket Nos. A-110150F0035 and A-311233F0002 (2006).
- Petition of PPL Electric Utilities Corporation for Approval of a Competitive Bridge Plan, Pa. PUC, Docket No. P-00062227 2007) (Default Service Supply Plan).
- Pa. PUC v. Duquesne Light Company, Pa. PUC, Docket No. R-00061346 (2006) (approving $115 million rate increase).
- Pa. PUC v. PPL Gas Utilities, Inc., Pa. PUC, Docket No. R-00061398 (2007) (approving $8 million rate increase).
- Petition for Declaratory Order Regarding Ownership of Alternative Energy Credits, Docket No. P-0052149 (2007) (ownership of alternative energy credits under existing power supply agreements).
- Application of UGI Utilities, Inc. for a Certificate of Public Convenience Approving Acquisition of Assets of PG Energy Corporation, Pa. PUC, Docket No. A-120011F2000 (2006) (acquisition of gas utility assets).
- Article, "Transmission Line - Siting Under EPACT: Shortcut or Short Circuit?," Public Utilities Fortnightly, Vol. 145, No. 8 (August 2007)
- Article/Presentation, "Recent Developments in Electric Distribution Rate Cases," Pennsylvania Public Utility Law Conference, Pennsylvania Bar Institute (January 2007)
- Article/Presentation, "Recent Developments in Rate Cases," Pennsylvania Public Utility Law Conference, Pennsylvania Bar Institute (January 2005)
- Article/Presentation, "Provider of Last Resort Service," Pennsylvania Bar Institute (December 2002)
- Article/Presentation, "Fundamentals of Ratemaking: Revenue Requirement," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Hershey, PA (October 2006)
- White Paper, "The Pennsylvania Electricity Generation Choice and Competition Act," (January 1997)
- White Paper, "The Pennsylvania Health Care Facilities Act Amendments of 1992" (January 1993)
- "Recent Developments in Mergers and Acquisitions," PUC Utility Law Conference, Harrisburg, PA (January 2007)
- "Incentive Regulation in the Gas Industry," PUC Utility Law Conference, Harrisburg, PA (October 31, 1996)
- "EMF Update," Environmental Law Developments Seminar, Philadelphia, PA (October 1996)
- "Pennsylvania Developments," Environmental Law Developments Seminar, Philadelphia, PA (April 27, 1995)
- "Consequences and Effects of Unbundling of Pipeline Rates Upon LDCs and Their Customers," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Pennsylvania Public Utility Law Seminar, Harrisburg, PA (December 1, 1994)