Kathleen Chancler is a Principal in the Firm's Professional Liability Defense Department, focusing her practice on the defense of medical malpractice claims. Her extensive litigation experience includes cases involving catastrophic and high damage exposure lawsuits and claims, as well as complex and medically detailed fact patterns.
Ms. Chancler’s more than 30 years as an attorney working with health care clients affords her a deep understanding of the unique legal and business issues the industry faces. Her clients include proprietary and not-for-profit hospitals, multi-hospital systems, integrated delivery systems, and academic/teaching medical centers, as well as physicians, nurses, and health care professionals in most major medical subspecialties.
In addition, Ms. Chancler has experience representing institutional health care providers in health law and antitrust and trade regulations matters, including litigation, consulting, and compliance. These matters include: complex medical staff credentialing/privileging; strategic planning and disputes; exclusive contracts; economic credentialing; and board and physician conflicts of interest, among others.
- Health America v. Susquehanna Health System - Obtained summary judgment for Susquehanna Health System and its constituent hospitals in the Middle District of Pennsylvania. The Plaintiff Health America alleged that defendants engaged in illegal price fixing during managed care contract negotiations.
- Alan Gordon, M.D. v. Lewistown Hospital - Obtained summary judgment on damages claim and judgment for Lewistown Hospital on claim for injunctive relief in a case filed in the Middle District of Pennsylvania. The Plaintiff cataract surgeon, Dr. Gordon, alleged a variety of antitrust violations related to Lewistown Hospital's termination of his medical staff privileges.
- Paul Bizzle, D.O. v. Northern Montana Hospital - Obtained summary judgment for Northern Montana Hospital in a case filed under Montana's Unfair Trade Practices Act. The Plaintiff Dr. Bizzle alleged antitrust violations related to Northern Montana Hospital's recruitment and employment of a competing orthopedic surgeon.
- Easton Radiology Associates v. Easton Hospital, et al - Obtained judgment for Easton Hospital in an injunctive action filed in Northampton County, Pennsylvania. The plaintiff radiology group, Easton Radiology Associates, alleged breach of an exclusive contract when the Hospital entered into an agreement with another group to provide competing outpatient radiology services.
- Quoted, "Coping with Malpractice Litigation," Pennsylvania Physician (Winter 2015)
- "National Peer Review Protection? Understanding the New Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act of 2005," Health Lawyers News, Volume 9, No. 11,(November 2005) (with Deborah A. Datte and Paula G. Sanders)
- Co-Presenter, "Measure Twice - Cut Once: Strategies for Success in Peer Review," 14th Annual Health Law Institute (March 12, 2009)
- "Medical-Legal Issues Facing the CHOP Practitioner," The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA (December 18, 2008)
- Co-Presenter, "The Credentialing Conundrum- Providing Information About Physicians," Health Care Law Committee of the Philadelphia Bar Association (June 5, 2008)