Oliver C. Overlander, III is Principal and Co-Vice Chair of the firm's Workers’ Compensation Department. He represents local and national self-insured employers, insurance companies, and third-party administrators in all phases of litigation. Mr. Overlander's clients include commercial transportation and trucking companies; nursing/retirement homes and in-home visiting nurses; construction contractors; temporary employment and staffing agencies; motorcycle, farm, and construction equipment manufacturers; pipeline construction companies; food processing companies; and a variety of employers in the manufacturing and construction industries. His practice also involves guidance and advice in the area of claims and risk management of workers' compensation issues and injury prevention.
Mr. Overlander has extensive trial/hearing experience and significant experience arguing workers’ compensation cases before the Workers’ Compensation Appeal Board. He has presided over numerous mediations before the Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court and regularly handles mediations/settlement conferences before Workers' Compensation Judges across Pennsylvania.
Mr. Overlander was selected for inclusion in the 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, and 2011 editions of "Pennsylvania Super Lawyer - Rising Stars," a listing that includes the top 2.5 percent of attorneys in the Commonwealth who are 40 years of age or younger or have been practicing for less than 10 years. From 2012 - 2023, Mr. Overlander was recognized as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer by his peers as published by American Lawyer Media and Philadelphia Magazine. The Best Lawyers in America™ recognized Mr. Overlander in its 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 editions in the Workers' Compensation Law - Employers category. He was also recognized in the 2020 edition as a Lawyer of the Year in the same category. For information about these selections and an overview of common third-party publications, rankings, and list methodologies, click here.
Read full bio >
Read less >
- Food Processing
- Temporary Employment
- Nursing and Retirement Facilities
- Approved counsel for global freight and transportation company. Handles defense of Pennsylvania trucking terminal workers’ compensation claims.
- Successfully defends course and scope of employment cases for numerous Pennsylvania employers.
- Routinely resolves high-exposure workers’ compensation claims involving third-party multi-vehicle accidents and/or construction accidents with third-party litigation/lien issues involved.
- Approved panel defense counsel for major global temporary employment/staffing agency.
- Organized and participated in special mediation/settlement days/sessions before workers’ compensation judges for several self-insured employers.
- Successful recoveries in numerous Supersedeas Fund Reimbursement cases with reimbursements ranging from $5,000 to $60,000.
- "Workers Compensation 101 Claim Handling," Seminar for Aveanna Healthcare, Bala Cynwyd, PA (June 26, 2019)
- "Best Practices: The Well-Prepared Workers’ Compensation Lawyer 2019," Pennsylvania Bar Institute (PBI) CLE Seminar (May 29, 2019)
- "Workers' Compensation in Pennsylvania," Webinar for members of the Pennsylvania Motor Truck Association (PMTA) (June 13, 2018)
- "Workers' Compensation 101," Adecco Training Seminar (June 28, 2017)
- "Tough Problems in Workers' Compensation," Pennsylvania Bar Institute (PBI) CLE Seminar (April 27, 2017)
- "Managing Workers' Comp," Regional Health & Safety Conference, Shamokin (November 2007)
- "As the Claim Turns," Annual Bureau of Workers' Compensation Conference, Hershey, PA (June 14, 2006) (with Judge Hakun and Director of Adjudication, David CiCola)
- "Case Law Updates: Regarding Vocational Issues in Comp Claims in PA & Using Vocational Testimony Effectively in Litigation of Workers' Comp Claims," Pennsylvania and New Jersey Chapters of the International Association of Rehabilitation Professionals, Atlantic City, NJ (June 8, 2006)
- "How to Aggressively Manage and Defend Workers' Comp Claims in Central PA," Seminar Sponsored by the Lancaster County Chamber of Commerce (February 21, 2006)
- Presentation, CEO Roundtable Lunch, Regarding recent case law dealing with employer/employee issues in PA, Reading, PA (November 16, 2005)
- Seminar for insurance adjusters and employers regarding tips to effectively litigate and close workers’ compensation claims, Pittsburgh, PA (June 15, 2005)
- Presentation to HR Managers & Risk Managers regarding methods to reduce workers’ compensation costs and claimson, Lewisburg, PA (April 1, 2005)
- Presentation on how employers can effectively manage their workers' compensation claims by working with their TPAs and insurance carriers, Lancaster Chamber of Commerce (July 7, 2004)